Marienville Fire Tower
Constructed in 1921 by the Dept. of Forests & Waters. Original height was 60'. In 1933 the tower was enlarged to 86'. Located on a slight rise known as Eldridge Summit, so named for the first settlers in this region. Located north of Marienville, it can be seen while traveling north on Rt. #66.
Tionesta Light House
One of northwest Pennsylvania’s one-of-a-kind architectural landmarks, the Sherman Memorial Lighthouse, is a unique project conceived by Tionesta businessman Jack Sherman. The octagon-shaped tower, 50 feet high and 16 feet in diameter based on Jack Sherman’s conceptual design, is a one-of-a-kind lighthouse. Most existing lighthouses are of masonry or concrete construction. The Sherman Lighthouse is rendered in timber framing, vertical beams, OSB and Styrofoam board. The pre-manufactured lantern room is 25 feet high and 12 feet in diameter and constructed of aluminum and glass. A spectacular view of Tionesta and surrounding area is provided from the lantern room. The lighthouse foundation is solid, reinforced concrete two feet thick and 18 feet in diameter. There is a basement within the foundation walls, plus six floors. All floors and the basement can be accessed by spiral stairs, 76 steps to be exact. The local Lions Club conducts public tours of the Lighthouse at least three times a year and may conduct special tours upon request. A video recording will be available to those unable or unwilling to climb the 76 steps. The Sherman Memorial Lighthouse is located on Lighthouse Island, at the end of Highland Street in Tionesta.
Forest County Historical Society Museum
The Forest County History Center is housed in an 1870's Victorian Eastlake-style home at 206 Elm Street in Tionesta. It's filled with artifacts from everyday life, both of Native Americans and early settlers, tools of the trades, products of the county's businesses and genealogies of area families. There's something of interest for all members of the family within these walls that have a history of their own. Volunteer docents explain the history of the house and of Forest County. The Society has several publications and maps available for purchase that tell Tionesta's, Marienville's and Forest County's history. A small donation is requested upon admission. The History Center is open May 29 through September 30th, Monday thorugh Saturday (closed Sundays) from 10:00 am - 4:00 pm. Call: 814-755-4422.
Tionesta Fish Hatchery
Originally constructed in 1928, the Tionesta Fish Culture Station (hatchery) is situated on 50 developed acres (387 total acres) of land owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and managed by the Fish and Boat Commission. The facility consists of earthen ponds, exterior curvilinear concrete raceways, a hatchery building that contains concrete and fiberglass interior raceways, circular tanks, and egg incubator jars. Water is supplied to the facility from a combination of sources that include a stream, production wells, and pumped recirculation water. The facility has long been a favorite of small tour groups when visiting the area. The Hatchery is located at 172 Hatchery Lane, Rt. 62 just north of Tionesta. Visitor Hours: Daily, 8:00 am - 3:30 pm. Call: 814-755-3524.
Duhring CCC Camp
Built in 1933 at the start of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) program, the Duhring CCC camp was only the second CCC camp to be constructed in the nation. Its enrollees conducted forest management activities within the Allegheny National Forest, including the planting of red pine plantations in the Duhring area, some of the very first CCC forest plantations. After the end of the CCC program in 1942, the camp was used as a German prisoner of war (POW) camp during World War II. The camp, situated on private property, still includes several of the original CCC structures, including a mess hall, storage building, and barracks. The camp was later used as a children's summer camp, and is currently used today as seasonal camps and trailhead for the Allegheny Trail Ride (equestrian).
The Duhring camp is believed to be one of only 25 CCC camps, out of the 4500 total CCC camps ever in existence, with extant structures (statistics from Camp Rabideau National Historic Landmark Nomination). The Duhring CCC camp is the only camp within the ANF region with extant structures, tangible features that bring CCC history to life.
Information on the camp's years of operation, its special significance as the first CCC camp in Pennsylvania and the second camp in the US, and specific projects conducted by the enrollees are now displayed on a large interpretive sign, similar to other CCC camp signs located across the Forest. In 2008, the 75th anniversary of the CCC program and the establishment of the Duhring CCC camp were celebrated. This important site is now commemorated for the CCC alumni who are very proud of one of the most profound experiences of their lives. Their story is now shared with their descendants and the general public, many of whom have no familiarity with the CCC efforts. The sign is located at a safe pull-off along a busy Forest Road, so that visitors, whether in vehicles or on snowmobiles or horseback, can stop and learn about the history and legacy of the Duhring CCC camp.