Beaver Meadows Campground
Beaver Meadows, noted for its beautiful pine overstory, offers 38 campsites in a serene setting. The lower loop is open all year, and the upper loop from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Each campsite has a large parking spur, tent pad, fire ring, and picnic table. Parking spurs are level and designed for travel trailer use (no hookups). Vault toilets and hand pumps are available. A small picnic area (eight units) overlooks the lake. Dead and down wood may be used as firewood. Bank and boat fishing are popular. Although the lake is not stocked, it supports fishable populations of bluegills, pumpkinseed, yellow perch, bullhead, and an occasional bass. A boat launch serves the impoundment; however, no motors are permitted on the lake. Salmon Creek, below the dam, is a popular trout stream.
The impoundment serves as a waterfowl refuge. It is the home of many herons, ducks and geese. Beavers also live in and around the lake. A system of interconnecting loop trails serves the area, offering views of a wide variety of natural habitats. A boardwalk crossing at the upper end of Beaver Meadows Lake is a highlight of the trails. You may also want to visit the large area of battered timber about two miles north of Beaver Meadows. The devastated zone resulted when tornadoes wrought havoc and destruction in northwestern Pennsylvania in May 1985. Destructive tornado activity in this part of the country is unusual.
The recreation area features a 34-acre lake on the lower end of Penoke Run. Workmen from the Work Program Administration (WPA) built the dam which created the lake in 1936. Corpsmen from the former Blue Jay Job Corps Center built Beaver Meadows campground and boat launch in the 1960s. (The Center occupied the site now known as Abraxas.) Trails were added in the 1980s by Youth Conservation Corps (YCC) enrollees.
Tionesta Fish Hatchery
Originally constructed in 1928, the Tionesta Fish Culture Station (hatchery) is situated on 50 developed acres (387 total acres) of land owned by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and managed by the Fish and Boat Commission. The facility consists of earthen ponds, exterior curvilinear concrete raceways, a hathcery building that contains concrete and fiberglass interior raceways, circular tanks, and egg incubator jars. Water is supplied to the facility from a combination of sources that include a stream, production wells, and pumped recirculation water. The facility has long been a favorite of small tour groups when visiting the area.
Hunter Station was opened as a 9 hole golf course in 1980. Designed by local resident Jack Sherman it is still a locally-owned golf course to this day. In 1997, the course was expanded to an 18 hole facility. Lodging and golf packages were added in 1999 and have been expanding ever since. The scenic Hunter Station is nestled in the Allegheny Mountains with spectacular views of the Allegheny River. The front nine climbs into the Allegheny Mountains, while the back nine runs along the majestic and serene Allegheny River. Lodging and meals are available and the course is a favorite retreat for the golfer who wants a scenic change of pace from the more traditional courses. Both challenging and exciting, the course is a favorite among area as well as out of state golfers; and has hosted golfers from across the seas.
The wooded hills and valleys of Forest County are ideal for horseback riding, with trails for the beginner to the experienced rider. Expect to cross streams, see historic sites and site eagles, deer and many other species of wildlife. Forest County offers several liveries and ranches that offer everything from a group trail ride of 30 minutes to overnight, guided, private group excursions. Check our Business Listings section under Recreation for information on area liveries and ranches.